Summer Brunswick Stew
A light, summery broth lets the flavors of fresh-picked corn and lady peas shine. Stir in whatever barbecue sauce you have on hand–some are bolder or sweeter than others, so start with the minimum amount and adjust according to taste.
- 1 Large sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh lady peas or butter peas
- 1 pound pulled barbecued pork (without sauce)
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 cups peeled and diced tomatoes
- Sauté onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add broth and peas; bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in pork and next 3 ingredients; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: We tested with Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce.
Southern Living Magazine-June 2013