Gumbo Gravy over Stone-Ground Grits
- Toss shrimp in Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add oil, onion, and next 2 ingredients; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle Browned Flour over sausage mixture; stir until blended. Stir in chicken broth, and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and boil, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until thickened. Add shrimp, okra, and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve over grits.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread flour in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until flour is the color of pecan shells, stirring with a wooden spoon every 7 minutes. Remove from skillet, and cool completely (about 30 minutes). Refrigerate flour in an airtight container up to 2 months.
Slow-Cooker Stone-ground grits
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked stone-ground yellow grits
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Stir together grits and water in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Let stand 2 minutes, allowing grits to settle to bottom; tilt slow cooker slightly, and skim off solids using a fine wire-mesh strainer. Cover and cook on HIGH 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until grits are creamy and tender, stirring every 45 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Southern Living-January 2013