Chicken-and-Three-Bean Chili Verde
Yield: Makes 12 cups
Total: 45 Minutes
- 14 fresh tomatillos (about 3 lb.), husks removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 extra-large chicken bouillon cube
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen whole kernel white corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can small kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Toppings: avocado slices, shredded Jack cheese, fresh cilantro sprigs
- Bring first 3 ingredients and 3 cups water to a boil in a 3-qt. saucepan; boil 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion and peppers in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Add corn; sauté 2 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin; sauté 4 minutes.
- Remove tomatillo mixture from heat, and cool 5 minutes. Process mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Add chicken, beans, and tomatillo mixture to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in tortilla chips and next 4 ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until tortilla chips are soft. Serve with desired toppings.
Southern Living-October 2012