One-Dish Chicken Pasta
- 1 (12-oz.) package farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: toasted sliced almonds, chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, shredded Parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Remove from Dutch oven.
- Melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in Dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir chicken, sautéed vegetables, and hot cooked pasta into sauce. Add cheese, pepper, and salt. Serve with desired toppings.
Southern Living-October 2011